Link to the Official Game Site http://www.callofduty.com/blackops2
Basically this game is a 6 out of ten, but don't get me wrong I liked it. At least I liked the idea of a game that is done in FPS style with futuristic weapons and gear. The story was actually pretty good I was interested and I wanted to kill the head bad guy at every turn. I felt conflicted when I had to make certain choices in which characters lived or died as a result of my decisions. The look of the game was great the environments plush and to the standard I expect from any main title FPS.
The Game Play way a lot of fun most of the time. I enjoyed the use of the various weapons, the use of drones. It took me two sessions of non-stop play over a two day period to finish the story mode on the Medium/Normal setting. The battles where intense and towards the end of the game I definitely had that urgent push to finish the game and was all in.
So to list:
- Story was interesting enough to hold my attention
- Weapons and upgrade where cool. Excited to unlock new gear.
- Battles where smooth and I didn't have difficultly playing even though I have mostly only play the HALO series for FPS.
- Voice Acting was awesome, seeing people I recognized as actors as characters in the game was amazing.
- I will totally Play the next gen version of this game with very high expectations.
The part that disappointed me the most about this game was how hard it was to follow what I needed to do next. There are side missions that are unlocked after you complete a mission. Those missions relevance to the main story is not obvious. Even after finishing the game I am not sure if I missed a cut scene or resource or what but that could have been done better. I had hoped that after completing the game I could go back and complete the other mission that where not part of the main story. Alas this could not be done. It seems as though a lot of energy was put into being dramatic and "Awesome" as opposed to being intuitive. It seems like a quality control issue that should have come up in Beta. Easy fix on the next one but kind of lame to have missed.
- Replay ability, very poor. Nobody wants to play the whole game to get to one level.
- Maps and Way Points, so many times not knowing where the hell I was supposed to go next. Way points or save points often waaaaay to close to a kill zone.
- Also, Special Forces, JSOC, SEALS, JTF 1-7 all have briefings where they have maps. If you go into a hostile area you always always look at all the available intel before hand. In game a quick shot of the the map your about to hit before you get deployed as an option might be cool. Give me choice to look at it or not. Don't make have to hunt for it in the briefing room either!
- Showing me weapons I can't use but giving me no clue how to unlock them. Weapon bonus's are great when I know what it takes to get the weapons. When I don't know I am not inclined to not even try because I know that in the past some game developers come up with truly boring-arbitrary-hard-to- figure-out ways of unlocking things.
Rate: 6 out of 10
Not bad but not great either. It's a borrow but probably not a buy the day of release. If you buy it wait till the price goes down. It's a good game that is really close to being a great game but you can totally wait to play it. I borrowed it played it and returned it. By contrast I will buy Battlefield 3 after having borrowed it.
Unless of course you want the PVP options then it's a whole different story.